Lincoln College, situated in the stunning cathedral city, is part of the Lincoln College Group, which also has sites in Gainsborough and Newark-on-Trent. It developed from the Lincoln School of Science and Art, which opened its doors for the first time in 1886.
Purpose-built engineering workshops were added to the original headquarters, now known as Gibney Building, seven years later. At the turn of the century, the School of Science and Art was passed on to the City Corporation, and rebranded as the City of Lincoln Municipal Technical School.
A piece of history was carved out in 1910, when the school started providing some of the UK’s first part-time classes for engineering apprentices. Programmes included Mathematics, Drawing, Engineering, and Mechanics. Apprentices were able to participate one day a week without suffering a salary deduction, and in some cases employers paid apprentices’ fees.
The school carried on throughout the First World War, and ran training classes for munition workers, training more than 400 women from Lincoln companies. Sadly, 70 people with links to the school died in the conflict.
In 1928, Lincoln Municipal Technical School emerged as three entities – the Lincoln Technical College, the City School, and Lincoln School of Art. Four years on, Lincoln Technical College switched to its own premises on Cathedral Street. The increase in student numbers in the 1930s was such that a two-story extension was completed on the Cathedral Street building.
The growing demand eventually led to the £194,000 Abbey Building, as it is now known, being built in 1961. Made up of five floors, it provided much-needed room for studies, along with social areas for students. A fresh name change came in 1967, evolving into the Lincoln College of Technology. Two new buildings, Monks and Deans, were unveiled on the site of an old cattle market in 1978, at a cost of £800,000.
If you've been made an offer for a place at the college then have a look at some of our centrally located Lincoln student accommodation below:
Modern studios and en-suites in walking distance of the universities.
Opposite the University of Lincoln this waterfront accommodation has everything you need.
Fantastic accommodation offering en-suites and studios, moments away from the University of Lincoln.
Lincoln, Louth & Gainsborough Colleges teamed up in 1987, when Lincoln College of Technology become North Lincolnshire College.
The final name change came in 2002, when North Lincolnshire College transformed into Lincoln College, accompanied by a new logo. In 2004 the Abbey Building reopened after two years of work on a £5 million refurbishment, paving the way for state-of-the-art science facilities and classrooms. Three years later, the college’s merger with Newark & Sherwood College was confirmed, with Newark being renamed Newark College and joining Lincoln and Gainsborough in the Group.
And Lincoln College was on cloud nine in 2016 when it launched a new Career College in Air & Defence, with the support of The Royal Air Force. Talk about aiming high!
The following year, the college achieved a 100% A-Level pass rate for the first time in its history. Mathematics and English students achieved 18 A* and A grades, exceeding expectations prior to the exams.
Notable college alumni have made a big splash in their respective fields. They include The Gadget Show host Jason Bradbury, Labour MP Tony Worthington, and Sir Denis Follows, the former Chairman of the British Olympic Association.