The Yummy Guide: 5 Of The Best Takeaways In Derby!
We know that our top-class student accommodation in Derby has all the mod-cons and a kitchen for you to cook with…
But it’s also got comfy table and chairs to sit at and eat tasty food from some of the best takeaways in Derby!
Here, as part of our Yummy Guide, we take a look at 5 of the best takeaways in Derby for students – we hope you’re feeling peckish.
118 Mansfield Road
As a student living away from home, ordering in a big Chinese banquet between a group of you is an amazing way to spend a Friday night with friends.
Evergreen Garden in our eyes, is one of the best takeaways in Derby that’s for sure! With loads of scrumptious dishes on the menu.
You can order loads of different starters and appetisers, share rice and protein and fill yourselves up for not just tonight but with the leftovers for tomorrow too!
At the Evergreen Garden in Derby, you’ll find all the favourite Chinese dishes you know and love and there are some great options for delivery.
Why not share a special platter for 2 people, coming in at under a tenner!
For this, you’ll get spareribs, four crispy won tons, vegetarian rolls, prawn toast, crispy seaweed, and satay chicken skewers.
Not a bad way to start a meal! A special set meal for two people costs £24 and includes sweet & sour chicken, beef in black bean sauce, king prawn and mixed vegetables, a large egg fried rice, and prawn crackers.
The Evergreen only reopened again in 2019 after being shut for a few years, and it was amazing to have it back on the radar.
The service is always spot on, very fast, whether for takeout or delivery and there is so much great choice on offer.
Some of the online reviews we’ve seen for the Evergreen include:
- “Best Chinese takeaway I think I’ve ever had. The beef in our Satay was really tender, lovely meaty king prawns in our prawn curry too. The meals were packed with veg too. Really fresh, tasty, generous meals. Ordered through Just Eat and our meals arrived on time too.”
- “Although we may be a bit predictable, we order the same delicious food every time. We have fabulous salt and pepper ribs (well done), chicken fried rice, and chips. The food is always delivered within the time slot they give, the driver is always polite, and the food is piping hot.”
- We’ve ordered a few takeaways from Evergreen Garden and they have all been great. No issues with delivery. Hot and tasty food.
65 Normanton Road
For authentic Caribbean cuisine, Big Taste is one of the best takeaways in Derby to get your jerk on.
If you like your food spicy and delicious, Big Taste on Normanton Road offers great delivery or takeaway for Derby students.
There is a simple menu to choose from, each dish packing a punch with flavour.
Big Taste offers free deliveries with orders costing over £12 in the local area and you can expect hot and fresh food delivered right to your door within an hour.
The portions are big for the prices you pay and whether you decide to go for the brown stew chicken at just £6.50, the Jerk chicken for £4, or the curry goat at £7!
Be sure to add those fried dumplings and fried festivals on the side for under a quid. You will not regret it!
There is also the option to pick up within 20 minutes of your order – what a bonus.
Here are some of the fine reviews of Big Taste, by satisfied customers:
- “Smashed it yet again, every meal we have tried so far has been what we would expect if we were somewhere like St Lucia, Grenada etc. Keep up the great work!!”
- “Here for work from Manchester and as soon as I saw soul food on here, I ordered, we have some fantastic places in Manchester and I have to say this place is right up there with them curried goat dumplings and fried chicken were outstanding large portions great delivery and piping hot, I simply cannot fault the service or the food, I’m here 1 more night and will be back, fantastic.”
- “Food was amazing, best Caribbean in Derby by a long way… I’ll be back soon.”
3 Friary Street
It is easy to order in some tasty burgers from Annie’s Burger Shack, one of the best burgers takeaways in Derby.
There is never a bad time for burgers is there? Annie’s offers loads of different burger toppings to suit all tastes, as well as some great sides and shakes.
Every single item on the Annie’s Burger Shack menu can be chosen as a meat, veggie or vegan option.
They also have some ‘gluten minimal’ burger options on offer too and are always happy to help if you want to ask a question about an ingredient or something on the menu.
All the burgers come with a choice of regular fries, curly fries, sweet potato fries or wedges, and you can add onion rings too if you like.
Burgers include the Boston Nibbler, topped with Swiss and Cheddar cheese, onion rings, bacon, grilled pineapple and a tangy burger sauce.
The Vermonter is a burger topped with pancakes, crispy bacon and maple syrup, another absolute banger you need to dig into!
For those who like unique flavours, try the Kogumaza with peanut satay sauce, crunchy onions, coriander and coconut!
You’ve gotta try milkshakes too, they’re are creamy and thick, with playful flavours such as Cookie & Cream, Mango & Passionfruit.
Some of the online reviews for Annie’s Burger Shack show you how tasty the burgers really are.
- “Was recommended this burger shack by family and we were not disappointed. American style burgers and size of meal! I had Mushroom Swiss and my brother had New England. Both delicious. Glad we ordered 1 with fries and one with onion rings as we would not have managed fries each and onion rings as a separate side to share.”
- “Best burgers in the country!”
- “Good selection of burgers, beers and generous portions, well worth a visit.”
4. Derby Grill
14 Friar Gate
Sometimes, what you really need for a student takeaway is a night of pizza, burgers, and maybe a kebab. You can order for takeaway from the Derby Grill with ease.
You know what to expect when ordering from a takeaway that offers pizzas, burgers and kebabs, but at these prices and the quality for these prices, you can’t go wrong with the Derby Grill.
Pizzas start at just a fiver, burgers from £3 and kebabs from just £4!
Whether it’s to soak up the alcohol after a night out, or a cheeky takeaway as a treat for working hard, there’s a lot of tasty food on offer here.
- “First time I’ve ordered from here, had the special kebab, and was excellent, the meat was of excellent quality and taste, and comes on a bed of rice, which I wasn’t expecting, the cheeseburger was also good, would defo order again if this is their standard.”
- “Cannot fault the food and service of Derby Grill, the kebabs are the best in Derby.”
- “Outstanding food. Very delicious, tasty and not at all greasy. Delivery driver excellent.”
21 Abbey Street
This Indian takeaway in Derby prides itself in nourishing the soul and engaging all of your senses, with its range of staple Indian cuisine and tasty snack boxes.
The food from Bombay Café & Co. is tasty, it is fresh, delivered fast and hot and is suitable for all tastes, bringing restaurant-quality meals to your student home.
Veggie and meat starters begin at prices under a quid, with speciality curries priced at £6+.
A great option is to order a Tiffin Tray for £6, giving you any curry and rice, chapati and a salad, a Bombay Snack box for just £4.50 which gives you any curry with rice or fries, or a starter box of 3 items for just £3.49.
- “It’s great to see more Indian snack outlets opening in Derby which were already popular in bigger cities. I really enjoyed the Aloo Tikki burger and Masala chips. Would definitely order again and would certainly recommend!”
- “Amazing food! Tasted great, very good value for money and the quality is top! Food was prepared within a good amount of time. Overall very pleased and all my friends/family enjoyed the food!”
- “Been wanting to try this place for a while and it definitely didn’t disappoint! Everything was delicious, especially the rasmalai, and it was delivered early.”
Whether you are looking for a late-night kebab or pizza, quality juicy burgers with all the toppings, authentic Chinese takeaway or an Indian snack box, we’ve got you covered with this list of some of the best takeaways in Derby.
If there are some favourite eateries we’ve missed out on, or you just want to let us know your thoughts about that amazing Indian takeaway you recently had or a great Derby pizza place, get in touch and we’ll be happy to hear about it.
Wondering what festivals you can still go to this year? Check out our latest blog for all the latest deets!