Booking line: +44 (0) 333 344 2829
Homes for Students Logo
Homes for Students on Instagram
Homes for Students on Facebook
Homes for Students on Twitter
Homes for Students on YouTube

Living at Homes for Students

Can I live at a Homes for Students property?

You must be a full-time student, and be 18 years or older to live with us. You can book with us whether you have a conditional or unconditional offer. However, please be aware of our cancellation policy prior to booking should your place at university not yet be confirmed.

Are pets allowed?

No pets are permitted in any of our residences.

What are your contract lengths?

Each of our properties offer different contract lengths and room types, please view your chosen property online for all of the details or ‘contact us’

Can I choose who I live with?

If you are applying to live with friends, please ensure that you follow our ‘create application’ link online and list the friends that you would like to live with, we will then contact them and make the arrangements for you!

Can I choose my room?

If you are applying to live with friends, please ensure that you follow our ‘create application’ link online and list the friends that you would like to live with, we will then contact them and make the arrangements for you!

Can I request to move rooms during my tenancy?

You would need to make a formal request to the accommodation team of the property you are residing at. If you request to move rooms during your tenancy please note there is a room move admin fee of £50.00, you would also be issued with new documents confirming the details of the room move.

A room move would be impacted by the availability at the time of the request and if there is a waiting list for the requested room or flat type.

Should your requested room move result in moving to more expensive accommodation then yourself and the Guarantor shall be liable to pay the higher rent from the date the Tenant is given access to the more expensive accommodation.

Do you provide summer accommodation?

Yes. Our Summer Bookings usually open around March. Keep a look out for pricing and information.

Do I have to move out in the holidays?

No, your room is your room for the full contract period! You won’t have to move out in the holidays, so you won’t have to remove your belongings every term.

Viewing a Property

How do I book a viewing?

You can book a viewing using our online viewing tool or by sending a note to us via the ‘Contact Us’ form. You can also book by calling us directly at your chosen property or by sending us an email

How do I cancel or re-arrange my viewing?

Give us a call or drop us an email we’d love to speak to you!

Can I book a room without a viewing?

Absolutely. However, we would always recommend booking a viewing wherever possible. If this is not possible our website provides a suite of property images for you to browse.

How long does a viewing take?

Usually up to 30 minutes. However, the sales team are always happy to spend as much time as is needed assisting you with your booking.

What will I be shown on my viewing?

All communal areas and room types requested (dependent upon availability).

I'm in a different country, how do I view a property?

All of our properties offer a Skype option, so you can view a property from wherever you are! Just go onto the property page you would like to view and click 'Arrange a Viewing' from there you can choose the Skype option and organise a time and date that suits you.

Booking a Room

What do I do if I’m a first year student and I’m still waiting for my exam results?

If you’re still waiting for your exam results and you’re not sure whether your place at university is confirmed, don’t worry! You can still apply. You just need to ensure that if you do not get your place at university, you let the team on your chosen property know in writing a maximum of 3 days after the A Level results day, to cancel your booking. You must provide a UCAS letter to verify your change in circumstances. In this instance, you will receive a full refund of your deposit. If you don’t let us know within 3 days, your tenancy agreement will remain in place, and you will be liable for the rent on your room for the entire contract period.

What do you need from me to book a room?

At Homes for Students we have created a simple 5 stage online booking process, all you need to do is:

  1. Register with Homes for Students online
  2. Tell us your preferences and then select your chosen room
  3. Complete all of your personal information and pay your deposit
  4. Accept your tenancy agreement
  5. Provide a UK guarantor (Only if you’re requesting to pay by instalments)
Do I have to pay a booking fee?

Most of our properties do not charge a booking fee, specific property information is available online in the property pages. When you accept your room offer, you’ll be asked to pay a deposit of either £150 or £250 to secure your room. This is returnable at the end of your Tenancy Agreement depending on any outstanding charges or damages.

What if I want to cancel my booking?

Our full allocation and termination policies are detailed for you within the booking pages of our website. Please read them carefully and ensure that you fully understand our policies.

As our termination policy states, you can cancel your application up to 14 days after the date we confirm your booking is complete (the Initial Cancellation Period). As confirmed in your agreement, we will refund the full security deposit within 4 weeks. Please note, we will deduct £20 to cover bank charges for refunds to non-UK banks.

If you cancel your booking after those 14 days, you remain liable for the weekly rent (for each and every week or part week) until we are able to re-let the room. If we are able to re-let the room we will release you from the agreement upon payment of a £250 release fee which we will recover by retaining your deposit (which will not, therefore, be returned).

Can I book if I’m under 18?

We can accept bookings from students who are under 18 if they will turn 18 in the first term of the academic year. Unfortunately, for health and safety reasons, we cannot accept applications from students who won’t turn 18 in their first term.

Moving In

What do I need to bring with me?
Deferred Rent

If you are deferring your rent payment, you must bring with you your student loan letter giving details of the loan payment dates. Without this we will not allow you to defer your rent and therefore you should make arrangements to bring rent payment with you unless you have already paid.

Council Tax

You will need to bring your council tax exemption certificate. If you do not have this because you have not yet enrolled on your course, please ensure that you bring with you the name of your university and your university student ID number.

Is there car parking facilities for when I move in?

All of our properties are different, please contact your property to find out if parking will be available.

Paying your rent

How do I pay my rent?

Your rent can be paid online through the “Make a Payment” link on the website. You can log in to the pages using your booking email address and password to see any outstanding amounts and to make a credit or debit card payment. Some properties are able to take payments in reception, or by bank transfer – please contact your chosen property directly for more information. (Please note that credit card payments incur a surcharge of 1.5%. If you do not wish to pay fees, please use a UK debit card instead.)

What is included in my rent?

All utility bills are included in your rent such as gas, electricity and water and unlimited wifi*. However your TV license is not included and this is the sole responsibility of the resident as this is not classed as a utility.
*connection fees may apply. Dependant on property, please see your property page for more info.

When do I pay my rent?

When you accept your room offer, you’ll be given three options for payment schedules. These are:

  1. To pay your rent in full as you accept your offer.
  2. To pay your rent in full a few weeks before your contract start date.
  3. To pay your rent in three instalments spread throughout the year – one in September, one in January, and one in April.

You can choose whichever is most convenient for you. If you request to pay in 10 instalments, there will be an one off fee of £100 added to the account. The first payment is due 14 days before the contract start date.

Can I pay my rent from overseas?

You can pay your rent either online, or by bank transfer depending on your chosen property. Please note that if you make your payment using a credit card or an overseas debit card, you will be required to pay a surcharge of 1.5%. Contact your chosen property directly for more information.

Can I pay my rent weekly?

Homes for Students offer a number of instalment options for students to pay their rent, however weekly is not an option. The largest instalment plan is 10, the total contract value is divided into 10 equal amounts and this is paid across 10 months.

What do I need to provide to be a guarantor?

Please note to be a guarantor you must be in full time employment or a homeowner and lived in the UK (England or Wales) for more than 5 years.

You can provide:

A copy of proof of identity (with photograph) such as:

  • Passport
  • Driving License
  • ID Badge

A copy of proof of address (less than 3 months old) such as: Utility bill statement (i.e. Electricity, Water, Telephone)

  • Bank statement
  • Council tax bill for current year
Can I move in before I pay my rent?

We can only allow students to move in that are up to date with their rental schedule.

What do I do if my student loan hasn’t arrived yet?

Here at Homes for Students we appreciate that students each have different financial circumstances and with this in mind we offer a deferred rent payment option for those students paying their rent instalments with student finance.

Please note the following steps in order to request a deferred rent instalment plan if you are student who has rebooked to live in a Homes for Students property.

In order to defer your 1st, 2nd and 3rd rent payments you will be required to do the following:

  1. Provide evidence of your student loan finance schedule, showing when you will receive your 1st payment, please forward this by email to the property you will be living at in September.
  2. Make a payment of 2 weeks rent, 14 days prior to your contract starting, the date of your tenancy can be found on your tenancy agreement.
  3. The 2 week rent payment will be deducted from the 1st instalment and the remaining balance will need to be paid in line with the date your student finance will be paid.
  4. You will also need to advise if you wish to defer the date of the 2nd and 3rd rent payments in line with your student finance, this request also needs to go to your property team.

There is no additional charge for the deferred payment plan for rebooking students.

Do I need a guarantor?

If you wish to pay your rent in three instalments, you will need a guarantor. Your guarantor must be a homeowner or in full-time employment.

For more information click here

What if I am a sponsored student?

We are able to accept sponsors in place of guarantors in some cases. If you are a sponsored student, please contact your chosen property directly to enquire about using a sponsor in place of guarantor.

When does the discount come off my rent?

Any discounts offered will be taken off your last payment of rent.


How much are deposits?

Deposits can range from £50 to £250, dependant on the property. Please check the property page on the website or contact the property team.

What happens to my deposit?

Your deposit is placed into a deposit protection scheme, where it is held safely throughout the academic year.

When do I get my deposit back?

Your deposit will be returned to you after your tenancy agreement has ended and your room has been inspected. The amount returned to you will depend on any outstanding charges and any damages found in your room or the communal areas in your flat. Please see your tenancy agreement for more information. The deposit can take up to 30 working days to be credited.

All deposits are secured with a deposit protection service, such as the Deposit Protection Service or Letting Protection Scotland. You will be contacted by the deposit protection service and asked to authorise the refund and submit your bank details to them. For this you will require your deposit repayment ID, which will have been sent to you via email at the time of registering your deposit.

Please be aware, the deposit refund process is managed by the deposit protection service and is not able to be influenced by Homes for Students. Should you have any queries regarding your deposit repayment ID, you should contact the deposit protection service directly: Deposit Protection Service or Letting Protection Service.

Useful Contacts

Looking for student finance?

Make sure you contact the Student Finance company on 0300 100 0607 for more information on what you are eligible for.

Need support while living away from home?

Ask4Support are here to help all students with any problems or issues they may face, contact them on 0114 303 3232.

Do you need help or support of a different nature?

For help with stress and your mental health contact Mind (Mental Health) on 0845 766 0163. For help and support with controlled substances please contact National Drugs Awareness on 0800 776 600.

I have been a victim of a crime, who do I contact?

Contact victim support on 0845 30 30 90

What are the emergency numbers?

  • To contact the emergency services dial 999 or 101
  • To contact NHS Direct dial 0845 4647
  • To contact NHS 24 dial 0845 424 2424
  • To contact the Family Planning Association dial 0845 122 8690

Where do I find out travel information?

To contact the Travel Line dial 0871 200 2233, or to contact National Rail Enquiries dial 08457 484 950

Need a number and don’t know where to go?

Call Direct Enquiries on 118 118.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Contact us directly


Maestro MasterCardVisaVisa ElectronJCBWorldpay

Homes for Students Ltd.
The Innovation Centre, Hornbeam Park, Hookstone Road, Harrogate, HG2 8QT
Company Registration: 9840367
National Code
Housing Hand